"Journey from bowel screening through subtotal colectomy for multiple malignant polyps"

About: Victoria Hospital / General Surgery

My treatment by staff throughout this process has been exemplary, from meeting with the specialist nursing staff who first gave me the information that I had cancer through the colonoscopy preparation and procedure; to the surgeon, S Boyce, who was both very professional and consistently caring in his overseeing of my recovery and his team; to the SHDU staff, from the domestics up - I can't praise or thank them enough for their care, kindness, professionalism and skill - and their sense of humour and fun. ; to the staff in ward 53 who were flexible with routines to suit individuals' needs; to the specialist nurses who followed my progress and still contact me; and finally to the staff in the discharge lounge who brought bottles of water and/or hot drinks whist we waited for our medicines to arrive from pharmacy.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear flOwer

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience following a diagnosis of bowel cancer. This must have been difficult news; however it sounds like the team got it just right in terms of providing consistent care in a professional manner. You highlight the critical role of a number of staff groups which is really important. I will be delighted to make sure that all staff groups are given sight of your post so that they see the value of their individual roles in a patient's journey.

I hope you are doing well and thank you for taking the time to share wit us your experience.

Louise Ewing