"Elderly & Dementia Care"

About: John Radcliffe Hospital

I visited the Eye Hospital Outpatients Dept with my mother who has dementia.

The clinician that we saw was not very welcoming and did not introduce themself.

They did not appear patient or understanding of an elderly person with dementia and were quite brusque in their manner, especially when asking her to carry out instructions.

The dementia causes my mother to become easily confused and upset in circumstances where she doesn't understand what is happening.

A little kindness and a lot more simpler explanation of what was happening or going to happen would have made the visit a lot less stressful.

Response from John Radcliffe Hospital

Thank you for your comments regarding your mothers recent appointment in the Ophthalmology Department at the John Radcliffe Hospital.

I am very sorry that your mothers care lacked the compassion that we expect all our patients to receive.

Please be assured that your feedback will be passed onto the Service Managers responsible for Ophthalmology Department. We would welcome the opportunity to investigate the issues you have raised and provide you with a response.

If you would like us to do this, please do not hesitate to contact the Complaints Department on 01865 221728 or at complaints@ouh.nhs.uk and a Complaints Co-ordinator will be happy to discuss the complaint process with you.