"Clinic 8 appointment February 2n"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I attended the appointment which was arranged by your consultant on my previous visit. I was asked why I was there which surprised me as the appointment was instigated by the Clinic. When I explained the complaint and reason I was told there were no notes of the previous visit hence the reason for my visit was unclear. Although the doctor was caring and attentive and carried out a few tests no diagnostic decisions were arrived at and no report given or possible as my previous visit notes when my complaint was diagnosed was given were not there. I was asked to come back on March 17th when I have an appointment scheduled another consultant for a different procedure to the current problem situation. I left the hospital with no progress report on my current difficulty which to me was due to my last visit notes not being referred to. I accept and understand there may not be a treatment available for my current problem but the consultant today did not give me any understanding of my current problem and where I am going with it. The absence of continuity with my current problem's progress is concerning as I had hoped to be updated, if possible, on my recovery. Let me emphasise I have nothing but praise for Clinic 8 and everyone there who have given me exemplary care for some time. Something went amiss today and I would be grateful for your looking into what, if anything, can be done to relieve my anxiety.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the usually high standard of care Clinic 8 have offered you in the past. I will share this with the team.

I have asked the Head Orthoptist to look into what happened at your recent appointment. I can see that at your scheduled appointment in March you will have the opportunity to discuss your progress with our most senior consultant.

Daniel Overton.

Deputy Charge Nurse - Ophthalmology Outpatients (Clinic 8),

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mr Hoolihan,

It appears you were last seen by the Orthoptist at the beginning of February. Unfortunately the notes from the eye casualty clinic had not been filed in the main notes from the joint appointment with the Orthoptist and Mr Tesha on at the beginning of January 2016.

We are very sorry about this and we always endeavour to have all patient notes available at each visit. Your notes have now been amalgamated and so all necessary information will be available to the clinicians when you next visit the clinic in March.

It would be inappropriate for me to go into too much detail regarding your condition on this public forum. If you wish to discuss this further before your next appointment then please do not hesitate to call me.

Helen O’Meara