"Care at lakeside unit"

About: 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

My uncle was in the lakeside unit after voluntarily placing himself under their care. After myself and his other 2 nieces were refused visitation, my uncle began to obviously get distressed, rather than being reassured he was subject to threatening behaviour by a qualified nurse whose name I will not disclose,  -this threat was used twice not even within a 5 minute time scale.

This is no way for NHS staff to speak to patients with obvious mental health problems as it can be used as a trigger, I have also been made aware that this particular nurse has threatened other patients prior to this encounter. Furthermore, when my uncle was finally allowed to see us for only 15 minutes, he was commanded to sit on the chair like a child and they continued to speak to him in a demeaning and threatening manor as well as speaking rudely to my self and my 2 sisters. I find this utterly disgraceful that the NHS would employ such people to work with the vulnerable.

Response from Katherine Earlam, PALS Officer, 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Trust

Hello GemmaRose

I am so very sorry that you feel you and your family have had this experience with our service.

I have forwarded your comments to Cheryl Forrest - Matron, Adult services, Wigan Borough.

If you need any further help or support from PALS please do not hesitate to contact me.

Katherine Earlam - PALS Officer

Response from Katherine Earlam, PALS Officer, 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Trust

Dear Gemma Rose,

I absolutely agree that the behaviour you describe in your posting is unacceptable.

I would like to assure you that I take complaints of this nature very seriously and that if given the opportunity I will fully investigate the incident.

I therefore encourage you to contact me on the telephone number provided below to discuss the incident in more detail to enable me to fully investigate and ensure that actions are taken in response to my findings,

Regards,