"Excellent results from phoning 111"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency NHS 111 Pilgrim Hospital / Vascular surgery

I had pains in the front half of my right foot for quite a while. I had tried different pairs of new shoes as I thought that might be the problem. I had been to the doctor and was checked out for diabetes which proved negative. The pain got worse and after working outside I came in and bathed my foot in warm water. My wife then dried my foot and said the toe end of my foot was stone cold and my foot was yellow underneath.

I immediately thought blood clot and my wife phoned 111. The lady who answered was excellent, my wife gave her the full details and she said I was to go immediately to Lincoln hospital where I would be seen immediately. This is exactly what happened and I was diagnosed with an aneurysm behind my right knee.

Within half an hour I was being transferred to a Vascular Unit at Pilgrim Hospital where I was told I could possibly lose my leg. I had a Popliteal fmoral graft which appears to be a complete success four months later. The service from all parties throughout was excellent and I am very grateful for their care and the results.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Sir

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent visit to A&E. I know the A&E team will be happy to read the positive comments you have made.

I hope you continue to make a good recovery.

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review, the team on 5B, the vascular unit, are always heartened to receive such wonderful feedback and it makes the team very proud of the care they give.

It is always nice to hear patients are progressing well and we wish you well in your continued recovery.

Kind regards,