"Urgent Care with children"

About: Rochdale Infirmary

We had to visit Urgent Care yesterday (Sunday) with our granddaughter who is 5 years old.

We had to wait in a family room that was full to bursting for over 5 hours to have her seen.

This I can understand with all the cut backs and short staffing issues, but what I was appalled at is the lack of facilities for people and children that are waiting to be seen.

The Coffee Machine was out of order, there was only water available in the reception.

I had to walk through the hospital to find that the café is only open Mon to Fri and that the only thing on offer in the entire hospital was vending machines containing Chocolate bars, crisps and fizzy drinks.

This I found to be appalling as Oldham Hospital have a shop that is open 7 days per week offering Tea, Coffee, Hot Pasties, Cold Sandwiches along with the usual sweets, chocolate and crisps.

I really think that the trust needs to look at some sort of refreshments being available to the general public 7 days a week.

You don't book to have an accident at the weekends and to expect children and pregnant women to have to sit there with nothing apart from rubbish and water is ridiculous.

We felt very let down by the facilities at the hospital and will go to Oldham in the future.

We as a town are being treated like second class citizens in this town which is such a shame as at one time I felt proud to be from Rochdale.

Come on people get your act together and sort out snacks for people to have when they are waiting to be seen.

Response from Rochdale Infirmary

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your needs.

We strive at all times to deliver the highest possible standard of care. We will use your comments to make improvements and forward your comments to the relevant area.

The Pennine Acute NHS Trust