"AE visit with my partner"

About: Queen Alexandra Hospital

On Sunday 24th January my partner dislocated his rt shoulder and we attended a and E at 17.30 we were seen very quickly and pain relief given before being taken to the minors area. We were treated by a staff nurse who was extremely helpful and professional and ordered an xray on suspicion that my partner had a Fracture of the mid humerus, they gave him more pain killers too. On return from xray fortunately he had not fractured the arm but dislocated the shoulder.

He then knew what was in store as he did this a year ago and the had surgery in winchester in march.

The staff nurse tried twice with the aid of Entonox to reduce the shoulder and thought it was a success but following xray it confirmed it was still out.

The AE Consultant came to explain they would need to sedate

and get the

Orthopeadic registrar too. At that time it was explained that the department was very busy and they would have to wait until it was safe to undertake the sedation. The Orthopeadic registrar came to see my partner. So after an hour the sedation was given and the shoulder reduced. This was con firmed by another xray.

wE left the department at midnight and I must say that the staff all gave a first class service despite the fact they were all very busy. As a nursing sister myself I would like to say thank you to all the staff involved in my partners care.

the only negative comment is that following traumatic painful procedure we were sent home with no pain advice or pain killers, but I did have some at home

My partner is making a good recovery and seeing the winhester consultant Wednesday who did his original surfery8

Response from Queen Alexandra Hospital

Dear Trish

Debbie

Response from Debra Johns, Patient Experience Officer, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Trish

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to provide your positive feedback about your experience with your partner in the Emergency Department. I would like to take this opportunity to wish him well for the future and hope his shoulder is recovering well. I am sorry to note your comment regarding pain advise but would like to assure you that your comments have been shared with the Team involved.

Kind regards.