"Poor Nursing Care"

About: City Hospital (Birmingham)

Poor nursing care lacking dignity and compassion.

There seemed to be a lack of concern and I do not feel they were conscious of their duty of care.

The ambulance crew were superb but from the moment I arrived at the hospital, the basic care was not there and I felt like a complete time waster from the moment I arrived. I came in with heart palpitations which is not normal for me but I was left unchecked for around two hours. I was not kept informed and the basic nursing values to which we are supposed to be aspiring just were not apparent. I was left and the service was poor.

I came in with an unusual heart rhythm and didn't see a doctor once for many hours.

If the nurses and the doctor had treated me with the same respect, dignity and care that I received from the ambulance staff, I would not have any room for complaint.

Response from City Hospital

I am sorry to hear that you were not treated with our usual standards of good quality, compassionate care. I understand that coming into hospital via ambulance is a worrying time for patients and their relatives and we should be aiming to relieve your distress and concern. I hope that we managed to treat your health condition appropriately or advise you on what your next steps should be. I wish you well and apologise for your experience.

Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.