"Not impressed. Waste of my time!!!!!"

About: Leeds Dental Hospital

After being referred by my dentist (I have always hates my teeth as I have several gaps, misshapen teeth, rotation etc) I was ecstatic that I had finally made steps toward having some work done that would increase my ever decreasing confidence. I have body dysmorphic which was mentioned in my papers.

The consultant who examined me, in my opinion, took an instant dislike to me after readying about my mental health problems & advised that rather than having dentistry, I should have therapy! I am appalled!!!

Anyhow, I was seen by a different person at my next appointment who took dental impressions & x-rays. I thought I may be getting somewhere after all.

On my third & final anticipated appointment, I was shown to a room with 5-6 people, one of them being the consultant I had originally seen in the beginning. As soon as I stepped into the room, they said 'do you remember me' 'have you thought anything more about therapy'

I do not understand why my health has anything to do with my mouth! The consultant seemed to be leading the others, so I assume they were in charge. After 3 dental appointment, time off work by my partner who drove me & high hopes, they were dashed when they proclaimed that they did not want to do anything to my teeth.

I am so upset that I wasted my time & was made to feel embarrassed & childlike by a dental professional.

Very unprofessional!!!!!!

Response from Leeds Teaching Hospitals

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for making us aware of your concerns, I am sorry to read of your experience. If you would feel comfortable doing so, please make contact with our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) team on 0113 2066261 or at patientexperience.leedsth@nhs.net regarding your concerns.

Kindest regards