"Appalling basic nursing care"

About: Royal Bolton Hospital

Sister in law in recently, and was dying.

She was drifting in and out of consciousness.

I am an ex nurse myself, so I could tell she had not been washed (certainly for the last 3 days). When I looked at the notes she had been changed and turned but there was no mention of washing. Needless to say she smelled.

In the end her aunt and I asked for a bowl and towels and we gave her a full bed bath.

Appalling, this is basic nursing care, no matter how busy staff are, especially so if the patient is dying.

This place needs condemning, and its not the first time, a few years ago the same thing happened to an elderly relative, where once again she had not been washed.

Response from Royal Bolton Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. We take end of life care extremely seriously and expect all our patients to be treated with dignity and respect at all times. All our patients should be offered the opportunity for a wash every day and again if patient are turned and required clean sheets. We are very sorry that you ended up asking for a bowl and towels.

In order for us take actions and feedback to the ward teams to ensure this experience is not repeated we would welcome knowing which ward you had this experience on? Please would you contact Paul Devlin, Assistant Divisional Nurse Director for the Acute Adult Division on 01204 390390 ext. 3533