"Teenager on Sarum Ward"

About: Salisbury District Hospital

My son (aged 15) had appendicitis. He was admitted via A&E.

I was generally very happy with the care shown to him, and myself but feel staff need to be aware that they can be heard when discussing patients at the nurse's station. I overheard chats that revealed to me that the surgeons were concerned about my son's liver function but nobody discussed this with me.

He was then sent for a scan ( to check his appendix I was told, though the radiologist scanned his liver first!).

People other than medical staff are aware of physiology. We were given conflicting opinions of my son's outlook, with the surgical team seeming keen to send him home, and the ward staff taking a more realistic approach in that he would need to stay in for longer.

This upset my son as he wanted to go home, understandably, and felt let down when told he couldn't yet. Perhaps the different teams could make their observations, discuss then talk to the patient and family once a decision has been reached. Apart from this, my son's care from the staff on Sarum Ward was fantastic, they were a massive support and I cannot praise them enough.

Response from Salisbury District Hospital

Thank you for telling us about your son’s experience with us, we hope he has recovered well.

We are glad to hear you were pleased with the care from the staff on Sarum Ward, but very concerned that you were able to overhear conversations and that you were given conflicting views on when your son could go home.

We are sorry for the upset this caused.

The lead nurse on Sarum Ward has shared your feedback with the teams and if you would like to talk to her directly, please contact us via customercare@salisbury.nhs.uk. Thank you.