"ward and outpatients - care and administration"

About: St George's Hospital (Tooting) (London)

I was in St Georges Gunning ward in October and November following a car accident. The attitude, compassion, care and advice from the nursing and therapy staff during my stay was always professional. However, there were occasions when many of these people showed a human, cheering attitude, which in such a place makes a great difference.

Communication and information from senior medical staff while I was in the ward was generally disconcerting in its minimalist approach. However, during my two visits to the outpatients department, I was struck by the desire of those who I saw (which included one of the surgeons involved in my main operation) to explain clearly what I should expect in the future, and to share with me the joy of a successful operation and healing process.

I have to agree with others that the administration at outpatients seemed haphazard at times.I note however that they dealt with a couple of mistakes I made, The "method" in the reception area is not obvious. But it worked okay for me.

I add that both a senior consultant and a junior nurse, both of whom I met outside of the clinical area, remembered me three months after my stay in the ward.

All I can say is, if you are as unlucky as I and others I remember were to need their care, I can only hope that there are other places that can match the care I got. There were some special people who I think will still be helping people for many years to come.

Response from St George's Hospital (Tooting)

Thankyou very much for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience at St George’s Hospital. Your kind comments about the special people who looked after you will be passed onto the Matron and manager for the ward and outpatients.