"Appointment change"

About: Ninewells Hospital / Cardiology

I have an annual cardiology consultation at Ninewells, Dundee. Usually I am given the date of the next appointment before leaving - followed by a letter - but on the last occasion the receptionist was extremely busy and said it would be posted out. After waiting for an inordinately long time I eventually received a letter with the puzzling reference to my appointment date being changed. Puzzling as this was the only letter I had received. I duly turned up for the appointment only to be told my appointment had been changed again to March and a letter notifying me of this had allegedly been sent in December. Not only was this a complete waste of my time but it also means only one out of three letters reached me. The NHS is quick to criticise patients for missing appointments but I was completely unaware of the first appointment supposedly mailed out to me before all the subsequent date changes. Maybe they should look to their own mailing system as there is clearly a serious problem there.

Response from Alison Moss, Feedback Manager, NHS Tayside

Dear "Deko15"

Thank you for highlighting the difficulties you have experienced with communication regarding your Cardiology appointments. I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I have shared your feedback with the service and we would very much welcome the opportunity to look into this further, in order to improve our communication with patients in the future. If you would be happy to provide further detail, I can be contacted either by telephone on 0800 027 5507 (freephone) or via email to feedback.tayside:@nhs.net

Kind regards.