"Disappointed at delay"

About: Gartnavel Royal Hospital

My consultant appointment in November 2015 was cancelled and a new appointment issued for January 2016 which wasn't too bad when compared to previous postponements. However, on this occasion I was aware of complications, associated with my diabetes, hence felt in need of expert help. It transpired that my consultant had retired albeit his commitments were being covered by a locum. I contacted another member of my care team at GGH whereupon my email was passed to the dietician. I was dismayed: my immediate problem concerned a haemorrhage behind my eye for which the dietician could be of little or no help. Apparently, no one else was available therefore I had no option but to await my new appointment - in a state of increasing anxiety.

Following that appointment, today, I have now been referred to ophthalmology.

I am disappointed that my treatment was delayed despite the presence of other team members who might have assisted me sooner.

Dear JCAG,

First of all, please let me apologise that I am only just seeing and responding to your post now. I too am disappointed at the delay you had in getting this appointment - while some postponements to appointments are unfortunately unavoidable, if you had noticed a change in your health this should have been highlighted to the most appropriate healthcare professional. Without knowing all of the circumstances, it would seem that communication within the service could have been improved to avoid you becoming so anxious about this complication.

I am glad that you have now been referred to see a specialist, and will pass on your comments to the diabetes team to see what we can do to improve on this for the future. Thank you for highlighting this to us though, as this is the only way we can continue to make things better.

Best Wishes,