"I felt frightened and alone"

About: Bassetlaw Hospital Highbury Hospital

I've had two stays at Highbury. Neither time did I feel safe, welcome or listened to. Not shown facilities, belongings went missing, two staff members called me the wrong name.

There were a few members of staff who knew that reassurance and inclusion, and talking to me like a normal human being worked wonders but they were the minority. Others walked around like expressionless robots or didn't venture from the office unless it was the day before my ward round and they had to find something to report for that. Most didn't introduce themselves to me. I felt I was left to rot. No routine, no encouragement, poor communication. I felt frightened and alone. During my first stay on Rowan 2, I was told not to come out of my room after lights out as patients weren't allowed out on the ward on night shifts. I felt like I had committed a crime and found it hard to remind myself I was poorly in hospital, not a criminal in prison.

Bassetlaw hospital was amazing. The total opposite to Highbury. Despite being an older building it outshone this hospital in every way. Staff engaged constantly, motivating and including me even when I couldn't have cared less. The routine was strict in a good way but I felt safe and cared for. They would sit and talk all night if that's what I needed. Everything was structured but with a relaxed positive feel to it and progress soon was made in my illness.

Highbury has fantastic single sex facilities, but has a long way to go on realising what mentally ill people need. I never trusted or relaxed enough to open up to staff even though I was ill and needed help. I would go anywhere in future to avoid this scary hospital.

Response from Deborah Thompson, Matron, Adult Mental Health, Highbury Hospital

I am really very sorry to hear about your experience at Highbury Hospital.

This is certainly not the standard of care we would wish to deliver. I take the issues you have raised very seriously and I will be meeting with the ward manager tomorrow to look at what immediate action we need to take to make sure that things improve. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me if you wish to discuss this further.

Response from Belinda Salt, Acute Matron, Millbrook Mental Health Unit, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for your positive commnets in relation to the care you exerienced at Bassetlaw. I will ensure the team recieve the positive feedback you have given.

It is always good to have positives to give staff about the work they do and how they have suported people.

Thank you again and hope your recovery continues.

Belinda Salt, Matron, B2, Bassetlaw

Response from Gill Pickersgill, Communications & Engagement Officer, Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Hi - Thank you for your feedback. The ward you were in is run by Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust and I see they have responded to your post.

I hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery.

Gill Pickersgill

Response from Elaine Abbott, Ward Manager, Ward B2 Bassettlaw, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for your feedback about B2 and the care you received with us, I am pleased you found your stay a positive experience. I will ensure all the staff are aware and I am sure they will appreciate you have spared the time to acknowledge the harwdwork they do.

Thanks again
Elaine Abbott
Ward Manager, B2

Response from Alison Harrison, Acting Service Manager AMH City, Redwood 2, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Im sorry you have had to raise this complaint about your care, but in doing so it allows us to address the issues that have concerned you. We will discuss the issues raised with the relevant ward and support and promote change.Im glad your experience at B2 proved more positive.I wish you well in your recovery.

Alison Harrison Acting Service Manager

Response from Jo Fox, Ward Manager, Rowan Ward 2, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Indy Girl,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experiences. As a ward we welcome all feedback as it supports us with our drive to continually improve services.

I am very sorry to hear your experience of care on Rowan 2 is less that what we strive to deliver. Your comments have been taken seriously and will be circulated within the team and discussed to ensure that we can take action to ensure this experience is not repeated.

I would welcome opportunity to discuss your experience of Rowan 2 and can be contacted on 01159691300 ext 14373 if you wish to.

Wishing you well within your Recovery

Jo Fox