"broken ankle treatment"

About: Royal Blackburn Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I broke my ankle and was seen very speedily, but the cast that was put on was for want of a better word a mess, sent home with arm crutches did not see any o//t or age uk adviser. Went back 3 days later a great cast was put on and all the above services was given to me helped as I am in my 60's and need equipment to help with daily living.

After nearly 4 weeks my cast was removed, no xray given but I was discharged.

I was not confident to walk on it without a support I. e. air boot or brace support so soon after a 2 way break. I really feel I still need some support on it, I would have felt better if discharge xray had been done. Overall at an over stretched hospital, I am happy with care

Response from Royal Blackburn Hospital

I am sorry for your experience of your first cast and pleased that you did receive the help and equipment you needed and that you are happy with the care.

If you would like me to investigate further please contact me Helen Ritchie on 01254 734471 or email me at helen.ritchie@elht.nhs.uk.

Many thanks and Best Wishes

Helen Ritchie

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator.

Response from Helen Ritchie, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Katyp

Many thanks for your comments regarding treatment for a broken ankle at Royal Blackburn Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I note that your comments and our response can also be viewed on NHS Choices.

Many thanks and Best Wishes

Helen Ritchie

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator.