"A musician with a broken wrist"

About: Belford Hospital / Accident & Emergency Belford Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics Raigmore Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

After a fall, X-rays showed that an operation was needed which took place in Spain to insert a metal plate and was referred to trauma in the Belford Fort William. Was told it was a beautiful job and started physio 1 week later.

Wrist became more painful and rigid affecting other parts of the arm including the shoulder. Six weeks later was referred to Raigmore to see an orthopaedic specialist. I was seen in late Dec. Xrays showed that screws were obstructing the wrist bones. By now extreme pain and stiffness in wrist, fingers, upper arm and shoulder. Unable to rotate or lift arm. Provided important information about size, make and supplier of metal plate. Started work recently as after 4 months will receive half salary. I am a musician by profession and unable to play my instrument or drive. No news of when the surgery will take place as yet.

Response from Elaine Mead, Chief Executive, NHS Highland

Dear HEF

I am sorry to hear about your fall and the pain that you have been experiencing. We are experiencing some pressure on the orthopaedic capacity in Raigmore Hospital, but if you contact me directly I will see if there is any further news about the likely timescale for your surgery. I acknowledge the worry for you as a musician, and recognise that you would want to resolve this problem as soon as possible. Please email your details to emead@nhs.net and I will pass this onto the local team concerned.

• HEF thinks this response is helpful