"My ongoing treatment and diagnosis"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital / Endocrinology

In early August 2015 I saw my GP. I had been feeling excessively tired, I was sent for blood tests and subsequently referred to Kent and Canterbury and saw a Dr in late September. I had more blood tests and urine sample test, which would require me to be admitted over night. I finally received this test last week after a 19. 5 week wait!

In mid January I received the results of this test, and whilst it had ruled out what the Dr had been testing for it showed that the problem lies with my current anti-convulsive medication, which I have been on for 50 years. I now need to see a neurologist and my GP has done the letter today however the wait for this consultant is 12-18weeks!

Had I been given the test when it was first requested on 4th October I would have possibly still been waiting for an appointment but there would be an end in sight. At the moment I am looking at a possible 12-18 week wait before I actually see someone! Is this really reasonable? Why should I have to wait another possible 6 months before I know for definite what my problem is?

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to contact us. I am so sorry to hear about two examples of having to wait for a long time. Please email me with your details and I will follow this through with the General Manager of the department you require. Please email me on Sally.smith2@nhs.net. Once again, please accept my apologies.

Best regards