"Emergency admission on Christmas Day with burst appendix"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General surgery NHS 111

I was quickly transferred to surgical assessment from the out of hours service and soon saw a doctor and consultant. Sent for CT scan which confirmed diagnosis and in about 6 hours after I was admitted I was in theatre having the operation. The Anaesthetists were fantastic in fact the whole experience which was quite awful was made bearable by the fantastic staff in East Surrey Hospital. Thank you so much, you saved my life.

Response from Branita Mills, Matron, Surgery, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Mauranne,

I am sorry to hear you had to be admitted unexpectedly for emergency surgery on Christmas Day, this must have been a shock and upsetting for you at the time.

I am pleased though that you had a good experience in our care and hope you have continued to recover well at home.

I will feed back your response to the staff groups involved

Kind Regards

Branita Mills

Matron Surgery

• Mauranne thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Mauranne (the patient)

Thank you for your reply. I am still full of admiration for how I was treated during my 9 day stay. What I would like to see is more good information put out about NHS 111 which is how I came to be seen, in the early hours of Christmas Day, diagnosed and then sent so quickly into Surgical Assessment. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who still don't know about NHS 111 and just head off A and E.