About: William Harvey Hospital

Was admitted to coranary care unit Tuesday jan 5th . Admitted by nurse severely lacking in personal skills, contrary to the time 3 weeks previous when a lovely nurse at the other end of the ward made it almost a pleasure. First thing I saw was a notice on the cupboard door opposite the end of my bed advising that it contained toe tags for the mortuary and bereavement counciling books, later removed! After the procedure , I was wired up with monitor wires, pulse and blood pressure connections . When my wife left she asked that I be given a urine bottle , needed now as I could not move from the connections.After about half an hour I was getting a bit desperate as the call button was looped up on the wall behind me, as it was in most other beds..so, in desperation I removed some of the connections, the screen beeped, red light buzzes and flat line showed .on screen.no one came. 15 minutes lates the nurse bought the bottle, later , the man in the next bed had to shout out twice for a bottle!

Why would the call buttons not be placed near patients? One or two of the otherwise excellent staff need reminding how to care.

Response from William Harvey Hospital

I am so sorry to learn that your stay on the coronary care unit was not to the standard that we would wish for all our patients.

I was sorry to learn that the cupboard opposite you was so prominently labelled - this will be brought to the attention of the Ward Manager.

I am truly sorry that your comfort needs were not cared for in a timely fashion either and certainly your buzzer lead should have been accessible.

Again, I shall bring this to the attention of the Ward Manager.

Thank you for letting us know about these issues.

I hope that you are now recovering well from this episode.