"Really excellent service"

About: Western General Hospital / Medical Oncology

I have advanced prostate cancer, diagnosed in 2008. I have been with the Western since 2010.

I have had various treatments including chemotherapy and a stay in the hospital when I had a severe "skeletally related event" = bad pain when a tumour gets inflamed. All my care has been excellent.

Over the last two weeks I have had trouble walking and worked out from the web it might be spinal compression. I called my Marie Curie nurse, who immediately got me an appointment with my GP, who immediately got in touch with the Western who gave me an MRI scan the same day, had an excellent doctor analyse that and see me the same day and after consent organise the start of a five day radiotherapy treatment the same.

Really excellent service delivered by courteous, professional NHS staff all working well together. Thank you.

Response from Jeannette Morrison, Head of Patient Experience, NHS Lothian

Dear Boons

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences - it is lovely to hear such positive feedback at what must have been a very stressful time for you. I was pleased to hear that the staff worked well together and I have passed on your kind words to the clinical teams.

I wish your well for your radiotherapy treatment and thank you again for your feedback.

Jeannette Morrison