"My brother in the I.C. Unit, North Devon District Hospital, Barnstaple"

About: North Devon District Hospital / General medicine

My brother was admitted to the I. c. unit the weekend after christmas. My mother, brother and his wife and I traveled on the Sunday to see him.

It is clear to see he is in extremely good hands, which is very comforting under the circumstances. My mother and I were offered accommodation set aside for relatives right next to the unit. For want of a better phrase this was a life saver for us. Organising a place to stay on a cold wet Sunday night in Barnstaple for me and my elderly mother would have made a bad situation intolerable.

We are very grateful for the kind and professional attention my brother is still receiving in the unit. We are also very grateful for the attitude of the staff towards us.

Thankyou for keeping us informed and for making us not feel like a nuisance in what is clearly a very high pressure environment, providing high quality patient care whilst dealing sensitively with relatives and their emotions. Many thanks.

Dear Relative

Thank you for posting your very positive comments on the website - I must firstly apologise for not responding before now.

I was very pleased to note you had such a good experience as visiting relatives whilst your brother was being cared in the Intensive Care Unit, and I have shared your feedback with the ICU manager where they will very warmly recieved.

I do hope your brother is now fully recovered, and I wish him well for the future.

Many thanks
  • jonyorks thinks this response is helpful