"Appointments system"

About: Good Hope Hospital

My elderly mother has acute anaemia and cannot get an appointment until March! Despite GP referring her urgently. This is causing a strain on her heart too, she needs a blood transfusion urgently and unless she gets worse and I have to dial 999 nobody is interested. God help us all as we get older. I have got to ring the Appointments line every day to see if there is a cancellation with the consultant, its a good job I am resourceful.

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for your post regarding your Mother's appointment due to her anaemia.

I am very sorry that you are having difficulties in securing an appointment.

I would like to look into this in more detail but would need some information from you.

Can I ask you or your mother to contact me when it is convenient on 0121 424 0808 or by email: marie.helebert@nhs.net and I make some enquiries to try and resolve the difficulty.

I hope this is acceptable and I look forward to hearing from you. It is most appreciated that you have provided your comments, patient feedback is very important to us.

Marie Helebert

Response from Arne Rose, Consultant, Associate Medical Director for Good Hope Hospital , Management, Heart of England Foundation Trust

Daer Sir / Madam,

sorry you feel let down. all GP referrals are vetted as per clinical need. most anaemias do not need a blood transfusion - some need iron infusion, others iron tablets. when you have your appointment, it will hopefully be explained to you what the cause might be and what the treatment involves. like Marie, without any details, I am unable to help you further. Please ask your mother to ring marie helebert so we can look into it.