"Unprofessional and unhelpful"

About: Grantham & District Hospital

Today I visited A&E along with my partner and his 6 year old daughter who was suffering with chest pains and a fast heart beat. We were disgusted at the behaviour and attitude of the receptionist. Whilst we were checking in they were extremely unhelpful and made rude comments to my partner.

Due to A&E being busy there were no seats available in the waiting area for my step daughter so we sat on chairs close by, the receptionist told us very impolitely we were unable to sit there, they were aware that my step daughter was short of breath and in pain but didn't offer us a chair for her.

It appears as some additional training may be needed on how to treat patients with more empathy.

Staff during previous trips to this hospital have been nothing but professional and helpful, what a shame that this particular member of staff has let them down.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

I am very sorry for the experience you have had in our A&E department. We would expect all staff to be polite and helpful to patients and their relatives/friends.

As we don’t have specific detail on date and time it is difficult for us to know which individual member of staff to speak to. However we will share these comments with the reception staff so that they are aware of the issues raised and the need to communicate in an effective, polite manner and escalate concerns such as no chairs available, to the nurse in charge.

Thank you for letting us know so that we can take actions to improve the service that the A&E department provides.

Mandy Charles