"Not satisfied with can on recovery wards"

About: Queen Alexandra Hospital / General medicine

Had occasion to go to A&E. My treatment there was superb. the required procedure was carried out swiftly, efficiently and respectfully. Then moved to surgical recovery wards (3 in 3 nights). I felt that my treatment there was practically Dickensian. As far as I could tell, it consisted purely of observation, intermittently interrupted by excessive drug prescription ( I felt that they give whatever you ask for), followed by sleep deprivation.

I found the night time care seemed particularly sadistic: full lighting, full throttle conversations from staff, and a complete indifference to any request for assistance, and don't be surprised to wake in the middle of the night to find the cleaners scrubbing a wall or some such. This happened every night. I was left believing that this technique could only be employed deliberately.

Response from Debra Johns, Patient Experience Officer, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust

I am pleased to note that you received good care whilst in the A&E Department, but am sorry to note your comments regarding your time on the Surgical Ward. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the staff involved.

If you would like to speak with someone regarding your experiences please e-mail our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on PHT.PALS@porthosp.nhs.uk or telephone 0800 917 6039.

Kind regards.

Debbie

• Marty46 doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

I am sorry that you feel the response was not helpful. We would welcome the opportunity for someone senior from the area you were in to speak with you to discuss your experiences for learning purposes and to improve the service provided.

In order to do so we would require further information from you and in order to obtain this information the suggestion was made for you to contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service as in my original response.

Kind regards.