"Lack of privacy at Hairmyres Cardiology Dept"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Cardiology

Attended for an ECG. All staff I came into contact with were very pleasant. I did have the misfortune however to be seen in ECG Room 1. This room appears to contain 'equipment' required by all members of staff. While I was lying with my top off having the ECG done various members of staff were in and out making me feel very vulnerable. I was told staff had asked for a curtain round the bed but this would not be done as it would cost too much.

Response from David Hume, Director of Hospital Services, Hairmyres Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Hello Sandysue,

I am sorry to read about your experience in the ECG dept.

I will speak to the team down there as soon as possible next week and ensure that we do something to correct this.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Response from Anne Leitch, Senior Nurse, Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital We have made a change

Dear Sandysue,

I can appreciate your “vulnerability” in the circumstances you have shared and I would like to apologise for any distress caused during your visit.

I’ve discussed your feedback with David and we have met with the Cardiology Service Manager. We are in the process of having privacy screens fitted in the department but this work will take another four weeks or so. In the meantime we will be using portable privacy screens, using additional signage to indicate to staff that clinical examinations / investigations are underway and we are also going to revise arrangements for storing equipment in these areas.

The staff were pleased to receive your positive feedback about them and they send their best wishes to you for 2016.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

Anne Leitch