"Appalled by Attitude"

About: New Victoria Hospital / Out-of-hours GP service

(as a parent/guardian),

I had called NHS 24 and told to take my son straight up to the Victoria out of hours service. I informed staff when I arrived that the appointment was for infant child who has cardiac issues. We then waited over two and a half hours while lots of people, adults with nothing obviously wrong, who arrived even an hour after us were seen before us.

My son ended up having to be admitted to hospital and put on oxygen and was in distress the whole time at the out of hours. I was appalled by their attitude.

Dear Kmum,

First of all, I hope that your son is now out of hospital and is doing much better. I know that it would have been a distressing time for you, particularly under the circumstances of your child's existing cardiac issues, and I am sorry that you had this wait at the Out of Hours Clinic.

There are many reasons why patients may wait longer than others, and I completely understand how frustrating this can be for others waiting, particularly when with a child. What is important here is that patients and their families feel that they are being well communicated with, to keep them aware of any delays and to make sure they know that they haven't been forgotten about. So often, this can be a big step in helping people feel less anxious.

I will pass on your comments to the Manager of this service, as it is really important that we learn from all of the feedback we get to improve the services we provide. Thank you for getting in touch.

Best wishes to you and your son,