"Shortage of food on Ruskin ward"

About: South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Southwark PCT

(as a service user),

I work for Southwark Mind as a user liaison officer which means that I go on to the wards and hear the service users concerns to report back to the user liaison meetings. There is an on-going issue with a shortage of food on Ruskin ward. The reason being that the supplier claims that he hasn't been paid enough by SLAM for the food that he has supplied in the past and now he is supplying only the basics.

The implication of this is that the women, who used to have sandwiches available when they took their medication at 10pm and were hungry, now have nothing.

We have brought this to the attention of the ward managers and other departmental heads at the Maudsley at the user liaison meeting. Nothing has been done yet.

SLAM please can you pay so that the women have something to eat again with their medication!

Response from Su Glazier, Head of Improvement, Innovations and Involvement, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Charity,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concern with the Trust. We value having your feedback and have forwarded this concern to Southwark management who are currently looking into this. We hope to post a fuller response just as soon as the situation has been thoroughly explored.

With best wishes,

Response from Paul Calaminus, Service Director, Child and Adolescent Clinical Academic Group, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Charity,

Many thanks for taking the time to post this issue.

I am sorry that service users experienced this problem at all on Ruskin ward, and I apologise for any distress or discomfort caused. I am pleased to tell you that the sandwiches at 10pm have been reinstated to Ruskin ward.

The reason for the problem appears to have been due to a communication problem with the supplier, but this has been corrected. The staff on Ruskin have been asked to monitor the supplies of sandwiches and fruit to the ward to make sure that the service continues without any further interruption.

I am grateful that you alerted me to this problem and hope that you feel free to alert us to anything in the future. If you have any further concerns about this matter, Ann Carrington, General Manager for In-patient Services will be more than happy to meet with you to hear your concerns. Please phone 020 3228 2892 to arrange a time to meet with Ann.