"tonsillectomy"

About: Bmi - The Clementine Churchill Hospital

I had a tonsillectomy carried out here two days ago. My consultant was excellent, however, the after care left much to be desired. I was quite poorly and had to stay the night.

Room service was virtually non existent, requiring several calls for due attention.

Getting hot water and tea was a challenge. Apparently this was due to a staff shortage! One doesn't expect this from a private healthcare provider. In the evening, some friends came for a quick visit at 9.45 to drop some items off to me, and were spoken to extremely rudely by the security guard at the entrance who I'm told was quite intimidating. Totally unwarranted. Standards of customer care have really fallen.

Initially, I was unclear on the regime for medication, however, after insisting I got timings this was resolved. I must say, the guidance provided for taking medication at home was excellent - but guidance after my operation a little incoherent. The night team were excellent - and credit should be given where due.

What upset me the most was what transpired on the day of discharge.

Things became very transactional. I had a very rough night due to the pain and aftermath of the tonsillectomy. From morning onwards I was constantly being asked when I'd be leaving, despite advising the staff I was waiting for my wife to collect me. It was pretty clear I was in pain so this was a very unpleasant experience.

I also asked how long I'd be able to stay, purely because I could not rush due to the medication I was on. I was told that 11am was the cut off, or it would go to another day! Totally unsympathetic and transactional. This is how one is treated in a hotel and not a hospital. I felt rushed, and this wasn't acceptable or befitting of a noteworthy institution.

Response from Bmi - The Clementine Churchill Hospital

Dear Mr Jaffar,

I am saddened to hear about your experience, I would like to meet with you to discuss this further as we certainly want to address many of the points raised. Please can I ask you contact me on 0208 872 3802 to arrange a meeting.

Regards