"Awful and rude staff on emergency assessment unit"

About: King's Mill Hospital

I have had a number of bad experiences at this hospital visiting elderly family but today was disgusting.

I was a visitor and next to me was another patient and her family. One of the family members went to ask for some help to the toilet, she was told to press her buzzer, still not arriving after ten minutes, family member proceeded to ask again. When they finally came, they brought a commode and the family vacated the cubicle. We were in the next cubicle listening to the poor lady suffering from diarrhoea. I think this is totally undignified when she could of quite easily of been taken to a toilet, especially while visitors were there. How embarrassing for the poor lady! She asked for tissue, she was told when she presses her buzzer, they will be back with tissue so in the mean time she got up herself and used her own tissues because she was sick of waiting.

When her family and mine were holding a conversation about it, we were approached by a carer who asked if there was a problem and then proceeded to argue with me about the problem after they interrupted our conversation. I asked a doctor on the desk twice where the nurse in charge was and the doctor told me twice they don't know where they are. This tops off a number of issues I've had in the past and I've left absolutely furious and disgusted!

Response from King's Mill Hospital

Dear Lucy,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience at Sherwood Forest Hospitals. Your experience does not reflect the high level of care we expect our patients to receive here, and we would like to look into the matter to investigate your concerns further.

If you are happy for us to do so, please contact PET@sfh-tr.nhs.uk.

Kind regards,

Communications Team Sherwood Forest Hospitals.