"The worst - and the best - of Tameside Hospital"

About: Tameside General Hospital

Yesterday I had an appointment at the Upper GI Surgery Clinic and arrived at the hospital in what I thought was reasonable time to attend.

I had the worst experience ever in finding a space in the main car park and spent 20 minutes driving round looking for a free place to park.

I ended up getting so distressed having gone beyond the time of my appointment, that I feared I was making myself ill.

Unfortunately, once the car is within the barriers there is no way out to allow you to try and find an alternative parking location.

You just have to drive round until someone else leaves.

When I arrived at reception, still distressed, I was misdirected to the 1st floor and ended up in the Endoscopy unit.

Fortunately, I was taken in hand by the most kind and caring receptionist there who quickly assessed my state and took me personally to the GI Clinic (on the ground floor) and ensured that I would be seen as per my appointment.

The member of staff, was so helpful and confirmed my long-held belief that the majority of staff at Tameside are dedicated to helping the patients and giving them the best experience of hospital as is possible.

Thanks to them, and the other staff who dealt with me, I went home feeling happy with life!

But that car park....!

Response from Helen Howard, Head of Patient Experience, Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for posting these good and bad comments.

We are sorry you thought you were stuck in the car park. For future reference there is a buzzer to press at the exit and the car parking office would have guided you to an alternative parking area. They are always happy to help

I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff in the reception area who dealt with you in such a caring and professional manner to ensure you got to your appointment on time.