"Cognitive Stimulation Group – ‘It makes me Happy’!"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Intellectual Developmental Disabilities /Learning Disability Services – Community (City)

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

Summerwood Day Centre, Clifton Nottingham:

For service users with learning disabilities. (IDD)

The group is similar to the Memory Clinic concept used for people with dementia to promote interaction, aid reality orientation and memory recall. Ten sessions of cognitive stimulation therapy was offered by Occupational Therapists. The Involvement Team supported staff to capture feedback at the end of the sessions.

Group members were not able to understand all questions Staff told the involvement team what they had observed when group members were unable to provide an answer based on their understanding. Staff: ‘Everybody is involved, lots of laughter and singing is heard at the group with smiles and hugs. A warm welcome is given to staff from service users. ’ Staff commented on a group member who is very helpful, a good organiser who likes to make drinks for the rest of the group.

Choices are offered to group members with opportunities to chat and share and to help improve memories with an interactive approach.

The Involvement Team asked the group what they thought and the activities they did together.

I love P, he is my special friend

I love Tamsin (staff)

I love A

I love Ruth (staff)

I love C’

I like coming.

I like being in the group

Being busy.

I love Beatles songs

We talk about food, ‘BBQ sauce and meatballs’.

‘A lot of people’

‘Playing ball, throw a ball’

Would like to do it again

It’s alright.

I like Abba, Dancing Queen

TV

Card making

Art

It makes me happy’

More of the day’s ‘weather board’ (this was asked for if they were able to repeat the sessions.

Thank you for your feedback about the group. I was really pleased to meet you and share your thoughts on the group meetings. I will make sure that we print out the story so that you can all see it.

I look forward to more chats in 2016