"Hanen More than Words programme"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Speech and Language Therapy

(as a parent/guardian),

We were referred to the programme by our Speech Therapist and can't impress enough how beneficial it has been to us all. Our 4 year old son still has a way to go in terms of his speech but it has greatly improved. What has impressed us most is the eye contact we are now getting from him which we didn't get before and the improvement in his attention to people and the world around him. Anne has been a fabulous source of knowledge and support and we can't thank her enough for all of her help. The programme has given us back hope and focus where we had lost this previously. It has also been a great help meeting other parents who are in a similar position. Knowing that you are not alone in your situation has been a great source of comfort.

Response from Pauline Downie, Professional Lead, Speech & Language Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear AandP

Thank you for your positive feedback.

I am so glad to hear of how the Hanen More Than Words Programme has benefitted your son and you as a family. It is very encouraging and satisfying for therapists to get feedback on the impact of their interventions and I will pass your kind words on to Anne. I know that the Hanen programme relies on parents to put the strategies in place and I hope your comments will help others who are considering the programme.

My best wishes to you and your son.

Regards