"Waiting 17 weeks now to see Surgeon"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / General Surgery

After years of being told I had simply had very bad indigestion I was finally scanned for gallstones in August. I was told my results by my GP in August, which confirmed I have 2 large stones in my gallbladder and a letter was sent to Crosshouse hospital (Ayrshire and Arran) so I could discuss further treatment with a surgeon.

I waited and waited and heard nothing, finally I went back to my GP at 15 weeks and they called the hospital on my behalf. My doctor was told the waiting list is currently 20 weeks though they will call me if a cancellation arises.

However we are at 17 weeks today and I have still heard nothing from Crosshouse hospital regarding an appointment which I would have expected by now if the waiting list is 20 weeks and to be honest I am very upset as the pain I suffer from the stones is extremely painful and is effecting my ability to carry out day to day tasks.

Response from NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Starchild

I’m extremely sorry for the waiting time you are currently experiencing to see one of our surgeons. There was unfortunately high levels of unplanned leave within the team over recent months which has impacted upon our waiting times. Please be assured we are working hard to try and reduce the waiting times for all our patients, however, if you would like me to look into your specific case, can you please contact Eunice by email at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or phone me her on 01563 826222.

N Marshall,

Assistant General Manager

• Starchild thinks this response is helpful

Dear Starchild,

Thank you so much for contacting me with your details, I have passed them on to the Assistant General Manager, N Marshall, so they can look into this for you.

Best wishes,