"Lack of communication"

About: Queen's Hospital, Burton Upon Trent

My mother was admitted to the stroke unit on 4th December, she was apparently discharged without any contact with family members.

My mother had unfortunately lost her speech and is unable to communicate clearly.

My mother was literally abandoned into the discharge lounge without first checking that she was being collected.

We have not been told what aftercare has been put in place, or whether her GP has been contacted.

Both my sister and I (I live 180 miles away in Wales) were on the ward visiting on Sunday and no information was given to us at all.

In essence you left a vulnerable 85 year old lady who had suffered a stroke, albeit fairly mild, but with communication problems and confusion to fend for herself.

I'm quite appalled.

Response from Queen's Hospital, Burton Upon Trent

Dear Ms Sadler

We are sorry to read your concerns about your mother’s care and treatments at Queen’s Hospital. For us to take this further we would need your mother’s consent to provide you with an appropriate response.

Please contact the PALS office on 01283 593110 to discuss further, we are available Monday to Friday 09:00 to 16:30hrs.

PALS team