"Made to feel a nuisance during a miscarriage"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Maternity

I was treated with no care or humanity or empathy when I had had a miscarriage. I was made to wait in a room full of pregnant ladies after being told I had miscarried for two hours. The doctor I waited to see was curt and seemed uncaring and didn't offer any information to take away and read, no pain relief to take home while I miscarried.

I was made to feel like a nuisance for the sixty second the doctor spent with me. A midwife also offered to 'slap' my sadness out of me when she asked how I was. You have posters asking us not to be rude to staff, how about reminding them to be human to someone who has just had a very wanted child die inside them. Just because they deal with it every day does not make it less of a crushing loss to me or my husband. Because of this I will never step foot in Lincoln hospital again.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Disgusted and Devastated,

I am extremely sorry to hear about the loss of your baby.

I am also deeply concerned about your hospital experience. It is usual practice for patients who have received bad news to be sat separately in a "quiet room" I am unsure why this did not occur. Unfortunately, waiting times vary as usually you would be seen by the Doctor on call.

I sincerely apologise you were made to feel "a nuisance" and were spoken to without empathy and in a curt manner by both the doctor and a midwife. It is usual practice for nursing staff to give support, information about what to expect, contact numbers in case you need them and a miscarriage leaflet. I apologise this did not happen at your visit.

I am unable to investigate this further without some more information. If you would like your experience to be investigated further please contact our PALS team on 01522 707071, or via e-mail at pals@ulh.nhs.uk. They will arrange to take your details and pass them onto me.

Regards,

Ellen Ewer

Acting Matron Gynaecology

• DisgustedandDevastated thinks this response is helpful