"Hanen More Than Words Group"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Speech and Language Therapy

(as a service user),

We were referred to More Than Words programme through our Speech Therapist. We cannot thank the programme enough, It really has been a life saver!

Before the programme Our 3 year old son was not talking and not really playing with toys. The programme taught us how to help our son gain joint attention and he's started to say words and bring toys over to us to play with him. It has been hard at times but so rewarding. The group was a great support to listen to other parents who had children in the same position as yourself and to get tips and pointers was a great way of meeting new friends. We would not have got to the point that we are now if it was not for the amazing support we have had from Anne, I honestly do not know where we would be without all her hard work and guidance she truly has been fantastic I cannot praise her enough she works so hard and always there to give support to everyone. She will always hold a special place In our hearts.

I hope through time there will be more groups put on for families who have struggled like we have as the groups are so important and make such a difference.

Response from Pauline Downie, Professional Lead, Speech & Language Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear CraigAm

Thank you for your positive feedback about the Hanen More Than Words Programme. It is so heartening to hear the difference that this has made to your family and the improvement in your son's communication.

We have been running the Hanen More Than Words in Lanarkshire for over 15 years and have found it to be very effective in helping parents and children. Anne is a very experienced and dedicated therapist and I will pass your feedback on to her.

We are planning more training in More Than Words for our Speech and Language Therapists next year so that we can continue to offer this programme.

I hope that your son continues to make progress with your hard work!

Kindest Regards

• CraigAm thinks this response is helpful