"A credit to your profession"

About: William Harvey Hospital / Ophthalmology

In a time when the N. H. S. is being criticised I should like to put the record straight.

I attended my Optician for a routine yearly Eye Examination, during the examination the optician dilated my pupil with eye drops and on examining the eye found what she felt could be a detached retina.

As I had my left eye removed due to a tumour in 1979 this was not good news, however my optician immediately wrote a letter explaining her findings and contacted the Emergency eye clinic at the Rotary Suite of The William Harvey Hospital In Ashford Kent. The Clinic booked me an appointment at 3. 20pm on the same afternoon.

I very much doubt if one would receive an appointment this quickly using Private Health Care.

On arriving at The Emergency Eye Clinic I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who after taking my details asked me to take a seat in the waiting area.

I did not expect to be seen on time as there were a number of other patients waiting for treatment and I was just grateful to have been given an emergency appointment.

However I was seen within 40 minutes of my appointment time by a very pleasant doctor who after taking down my relevant details examined my eye and then used drops to dilate the pupil. I was then directed back to the waiting area for this to take effect.

Within 15 minutes I was called by a Mr Schultz the Ophthalmic Consultant and taken to a treatment room where he thoroughly examined my eye and to my great relief explained that there was no sign of a detached retina and therefore no treatment required,

I should just like to thank all the staff that were involved with my treatment, you are a credit to your profession and the N. H. S.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Serendipity,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this wonderful feedback. I am so pleased you received care that was responsive and compassionate. I shall make sure our Trust Board and the ward see your kind words. I am always really proud when I receive stories like this.

I am so sorry to hear about your eye, and I do wish you all the very best with the treatment you need and receive.

I hope you recover well and soon,

best regards

sally

Response from William Harvey Hospital

Oh that was good news!

It must have been a very worrying time for you, but I am so glad that you were seen so promptly and that all is well.

Thank you for letting us know about your good experience.

Update posted by Serendipty (the patient)

Dear Sally,

Thank you for your kind response and yes my eye is fine and requires no further treatment.

I have resided in Ashford for over 40 years now and have needed to attend the William Harvey a number of times for various procedures in the following departments:-

A & E

Radiology for various procedures

Audiology

In all of these visits I have received excellent service and on occasion written to express my sincere thanks for the care I received.

Of course at times one has to wait a long time in the A & E department, but the care received by the staff in my opinion has always been of the highest quality even though they are working under extreme pressure.

And lets not forget the receptionist's in all those departments who are always friendly and helpful I'm sure they don't get the thanks they deserve.

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE IN OUR TIME OF NEED.

Kindest regards.

Wonderful. I will make sure the staff see your thanks and kind words.

Best regards,

Sally

• Serendipty thinks this response is helpful