"Mental Health"

About: NHS Orkney / Community mental health team

I had a real problem dealing with stress and depression of a long period (there were a number of factors involved). Whilst the GPs and other associative staff were supportive - I felt that once I had been signed off and been given a prescription that was that. At a point when I most needed support, there didn't appear to be anything available and I was left to my own devices to try and find something suitable.

Fortunately, I came across a mindfulness course and found that very useful - but that was very much by chance.

A referral to the CMHT was offered, but that was after about 10 weeks of being off, and there was a 10-12 week wait for an appointment.

Whilst I appreciate that they are very busy, and are dealing with the "high end" cases - I do believe that if appropriate intervention were at a much earlier stage, then many of these cases could be either avoided or mitigated.

Response from Julie Tait, Patient Experience Officer, NHS Orkney

Dear MrBlueSky

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I am very sorry to hear that you have been unwell and about the difficulties experienced in accessing mental health services.

I have asked the manager responsible for the service to provide me with some information on how this process could have been improved for you. If you will allow me some time to do so, I will respond as soon as I have heard back from him.

In the meantime, if you would like to discuss this further or in more detail, please don't hesitate to contact me on julietait@nhs.net or by calling 01856 888221.

I do hope your health is improving and that you are on the road to recovery.

Julie

• MrBlueSky thinks this response is helpful