"Heart Care in elderly"

About: Princess Royal University Hospital (Orpington)

I am writing for my mother who was in the PRUH for a fortnight after an emergency admission on 13th November.

She was misdiagnosed with the problem that caused her to be admitted, but whilst there she suffered what we believe to be a heart attack.

We were never told this was the problem, and she was set to be discharged from the hospital on the 19th November, before the cardiac team kept her in and moved her to the cardiac ward.

The consultants and their teams have been very kind and caring in most cases. but we did find one doctor extremely unpleasant and who totally misdiagnosed my mother's problems and accused her of being a smoker.

My mother has never smoked.

She was seen by other doctors who are now planning further tests with a view to performing a heart valve replacement by a TAVI.

The nursing and auxiliary staff were all caring and kind, but the communication between teams and the coordination was very poor, with a constant need to remind the staff present of what we had already told the previous person.

Response from Princess Royal University Hospital

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your comments.

I was sorry to learn of the difficulties that your mother experienced when she was an inpatient at the Princess Royal University Hospital in November 2015.

If you would like the Trust to investigate the issues you raise regarding misdiagnosis and communication, please do not hesitate to contact the PALS Team on kch-tr.palskent@nhs.net or 01689 863252.