"Unacceptable waiting time"

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

I was very, very upset yesterday when I received an urgent call from the nursing home where my uncle is being looked after. The doctor called me letting me know my uncle’s condition needed urgent hospitalisation as he was coughing up blood. They had called for an emergency ambulance, I was at the nursing home for two hours before it arrived.

Not only was I upset that my uncle was very ill but more upset that an emergency ambulance summoned by a doctor could take so long to come. Had I known it was going to be so long I could have driven my uncle to the hospital, just a few minutes from the nursing home. How can an emergency ambulance take so long?

Response from Sara Coburn, Patient Engagement Manager, Governance, South Western Ambulance Service Foundation Trust

Good Afternoon Cairo590,

Thank you for taking the time to provide our service with feedback. I hope your uncle's condition has now improved.

I'm sorry to hear that you and your uncle had to wait for such a long period of time. It would be difficult for me to comment on the possible reasons behind this without more detailed information about your experience. If you would like us to look into this for you, please could I ask you to contact our Patient Experience Team either by emailing patientexperience@swast.nhs.uk or by calling 01392 261585 and a member of the team will guide you through the process.

Thank you again for sharing your story with us.