"Thank you Urology Department"

About: Southmead Hospital

My main anxiety was getting to Southmead by 7am from deep inside Dorset and I was, of course, early but Southmead hospital is a calm, even relaxing, environment, unusual for a hospital….It was easy to find where I needed to go, everyone was friendly and the cystectomy operation took place at 11am. I awoke in ITU seemingly minutes later looked after by a wonderful nurse and thereafter to Ward 23b and a bright single room where I was attended to by a large number of amazing people who all knew my name and who were caring and attentive to my every need whether it be the nurses, the ladies or gentlemen who brought the food and drink, cleared up, swept the floor etc. All corners of the earth seemed to be represented and, careful not to detract them from their duties, I did enjoy brief but fascinating conversations. I also had a visit from two medical students which was as interesting for me as I hope it was for them and I was daily visited by one of the surgeons who had operated on me…..so I was very, very well cared for and my sincere thanks go to everyone. They work so very hard!

My one concern was that clocks in hospitals appear to have all stopped or indeed appear to be going backwards but I guess that a period of enforced calm in this busy world is an important part of the healing process. Thank you Southmead Hospital!

David Andrews

Response from Southmead Hospital

Dear Mr Andrews,

Thank you for your very kind comments, which will be shared with the staff concerned.

I am pleased that you had such positive experience, and I hope you are now feeling much better and recovering well from your procedure.

Yours sincerely, Sue Needs, Deputy Advice & Complaints Team Manager.

Response from Steven Sykes, Advice & Complaints Team Manager, North Bristol NHS Trust

Dear Mr Andrews - thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your views of Southmead Hospital - I am please your experience was so positive.