"Not the person centred care i had hoped for"

About: Ninewells Hospital / Gastroenterology

I had an appointment on Friday with a GI motility consultant who delivered the devastating news that I should try bowel self irrigation. The consultant was very helpful and supportive. I was given the number of the GI specialist nurse to contact for further information, support and advice.

I eventually contacted them as this news has been difficult to come to terms with. The nurse gave me a lecture over the phone about commitment to this treatment. The nurse was less than impressed that I had not watched the dvd. I was met with negativity and a total lack of interest. I was told to phone back when I had at least watched the dvd! Person centred care?

Response from Alison Moss, Feedback Manager, NHS Tayside

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience, which is not the person-centred care we aim to provide. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, either in person, or by telephone. If you would be willing to do so, I can be contacted via Alison Moss, Complaints and Feedback Team Lead by telephone on 0800 027 5507 (freephone) or by email to feedback.tayside@nhs.net

Kind regards.