"Good luck getting to talk to Nutrition and..."

About: Grantham & District Hospital

My partner received a letter where he was asked to ring them to get an appointment. So far we've both been trying for 2 days straight. I've literally kept calling over and over again and all I get is either no answer or the engaged tone. Given that if we don't ring them for an appointment within 2 weeks of the letter (which we got 4 days later than the date on it) they'll discharge him from their care, I'd say they're not doing all that great.

The letter also mention that there's an answering machine, but that's actually not the case. I would know, I've been ringing them continuously this morning and this afternoon, for hours on end.

Short version: we got the letter telling us to call them for an appointment 4 days late and it gives us 14 days to call them or they'll discharge my partner, and we've been trying the last couple of days for hours on end and they just won't answer.

I've generally found the personnel at the hospital to be supportive, competent and kind, but trying to get to this department at the phone is impossible so far. I'll have to go there and hope they answer in person (which, of course, means I'll have to spend time and money for the car park to do something that should be possible via phone), I don't need to tell you how impractical this is.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Teresa,

Firstly please accept my apologies that you have not been able to reach the team to arrange your partner's appointment.

There had been building works on-going in the department at Grantham at the end of last week and stretching into this week, which has meant we have not been able to use the department for much of that time.

There also appears to have been a technical issue re-routing telephone calls to a different extension number and hooking up an answerphone to that extension.

Fortunately, the building works have been completed and the issues should now hopefully been resolved.

If your partner has still not been able to arrange an appointment, could I ask either you or him to contact our PALS team at Grantham on 01476 464861, or by e-mail to pals@ulh.nhs.uk. They will then be able to liaise with the department to get a suitable appointment arranged.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you and your partner.

Best regards,