"Several things I was not happy about"

About: City Hospital campus / Cardiology

I had a heart attach at the beginning of August and I was in hospital for 6 weeks and had heart surgery. I am grateful and delighted that I am so well now. However, there were several things I was not happy about. I felt I had to “be in charge” to make sure I got the correct medication (I was given, but queried it and did not take the dosage given) on one occasion. I had to ask about embolish stockings and eventually five days after surgery I was given them. I had teeth removed prior to surgery and could only eat soft food but was not given any soft diet food. Eating the same soft food off the trolley at every day meal meant I didn’t eat lunch and lost 2 stone. As an ex-nurse, I was astonished at the way nurses function now a days. from what I saw, in most cases the caring element of a nursing career has gone. Please, please stop training nurses through university. They need to be constantly on the wards and know about all their patients. I could go on, but I would have to stop. The hygiene and cleaning whilst I was in the city was excellent and I was very impressed. I found the auxilliary nurses excellent and if I required anything they were the first to provide it and always with a smile.

Response from Jane Upton, Communications and Engagement Manager, Principia

Thank you for this feedback - it is very valuable and we will pass on your comments to the hospital.

I am sorry you had a difficult experience but am very glad to hear that you are now well.

Best wishes for the future