"Exceptional healthcare following a heart attack"

About: Golden Jubilee National Hospital / Cardiac Surgery NHS 24 Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / Heart conditions Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

My partner experienced chest pains on Friday. We called NHS 24 on Saturday morning. We provided all the details and within ten minutes, an ambulance arrived. Following a EEG they transported him to the golden jubilee where he underwent an angioplasty and had a stent inserted. After a night at the jubilee he was moved to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he stayed for a further three days.

I have to say that the care he received from all services was exceptional. From being diagnosed and receiving care within three hours to being provided with a state-of-the-art accommodation in the new QEUH, his care was second to none and I would like to pass on my thanks to all involved.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Dear Louie77

Thank you for sharing your story on Patient Opinion. I was sorry to learn that your partner experienced chest pains and subsequently required to have a stent inserted. I appreciate that this would have been an extremely worrying time for you both and I do wish him well.

Your partner’s experience demonstrates the joint approach taken by Health Boards and Health Professionals in providing care to patients. Here at NHS 24 we work closely with the Scottish Ambulance Service and other Health Boards to ensure that patients receive the required level of care as soon as possible. Patient safety and a positive patient experience are our top priorities. The story you have posted is an excellent example of joint working for the benefit of patients.

Should you wish to provide any further detail, this would enable me to identify the staff members at NHS 24 who managed the call to our service. This means that I could share your story directly with them. In any event I will share this with key clinical staff to reinforce the positive experience you have described.

I can be contacted directly on 0141 337 4582 or by email at patientaffairs@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

With best wishes to you both.

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Louie77

Like Shona, I must say thank you for taking time to share how well your partner's care went: from the call the NHS 24, the response from the A&E crew from the Scottish Ambulance Service and the teams at the Golden Jubilee and Queen Margaret University Hospitals.

I will share your partner's story with colleagues in our Ambulance Control Room and in our West Central Division. They will be really pleased that all elements of our patient's care went really well.

I hope your partner is making a good recovery. No doubt, if your partner is feeling better, you'll be feeling better, too.

Best wishes