"Kingfisher Ward"

About: The Great Western Hospital

My father was recently admitted into hospital and I gave a glowing reference for A&E, however I felt I needed to add the following experience...

My father was admitted into Linnet ward, very friendly and helpful but was moved to Kingfisher during the night.

When I went to see my father they were not sure if he was there, I had to point his name out on the board; the staff seemed rude and confused.

I found my father and a nursing auxiliary was barking orders at him to get washed, he is very hard of hearing and the member of staff's accent was very hard to understand, almost impossible.

He was obviously disorientated and stressed, and was man -handled into a chair and treated with no respect.

The Nursing Auxiliary barked orders for me to go to the relative’s room as they needed the space. I asked the member of staff not to be so rude and stop the attitude.

The nursing auxiliary achieved was to upset my father and caused distress and upset.

I am not sure if the ward condones this sort of behaviour but I am disgusted.

Response from The Great Western Hospital

We are sorry to hear your recent experience did not meet your expectations.

We take concerns seriously and are keen to investigate and take action as appropriate.

If you would like us to look into this further, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service by emailing pals.team@gwh.nhs.uk or calling 01793 604031.