"emergency services have been able to talk me around"

About: Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust / Adult community mental health South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / NHS 111

I was experiencing a serious mental health crisis recently and generally find the staff of the recovery team/crisis care very reluctant to answer the phone or respond to messages left with them during evenings and daytime so as a last resort have to call emergency services who are an asset and have many a time been able to talk me around so I feel less suicidal and calm me down to feel more human.

Considering they are not fully trained in mental health and usually deal with physical illness I found them most helpful, caring and genuinely concerned to find a solution, they too called the crisis mental health team in Taunton and were unable to get any actual response for help/support even when they eventually got through to them.

I find it shocking that a mental health service had this attitude towards me when I needed help/support & treatment leaving me to call on emergency services to pick up the pieces.

Response from Sara Coburn, Patient Engagement Manager, Governance, South Western Ambulance Service Foundation Trust

Hi Mmmm

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us.

I'm really pleased that you have felt supported during times of crisis; it is very rewarding to hear stories of how our staff are delivering care and support to patients when they need it most.

We would be happy to share your story with the ambulance staff involved in your care, however to do so we will need some specific information. If you are happy to do so, please may I ask you to contact us on either plaudits@swast.nhs.uk or 01392 459 831 and a member of the Patient Engagement Team will be happy to help you further.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Response from Karen Howard-Grenville, PALS, Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for contacting our Trust through this patient Opinion site.

I was really sorry to read about your less than satisfactory experience of our mental health services.

I would very much like to look into the issues that you have raised, but in order to do so, I will need some personal details from you, so if you would like the Patient Advice and Liaison Service, (PALS), to take this forward please contact me on 01278 432022 or email the team at pals@sompar.nhs.uk. I look forward to hearing from you.