"I feel very upset about my procedure"

About: Good Hope Hospital / Gynaecology

Recently I was an outpatient for an investigative hysteroscopy. I did all that was required, and took 2 paracetamol as advised an hour before the procedure. I was advised by a nurse when I arrived that I would be given a local anesthetic in my cervix and gas and air for the pain.

The procedure ended up being one of the most traumatic and painful experience of my life. I felt absolutely everything, and cried and cried throughout the procedure. I was offered no gas and air. I was told I had received a local anesthetic but I still felt unacceptable amounts of pain.

I cannot understand why I had to go through this? Why was I not at least sedated? Why was there no pain relief available? Why when I cried and cried and became very distressed were no measures taken to help relieve the pain?

I have to state that the nurses and doctor were very kind, and caring, but I strongly believe that what I endured is beyond what anyone should have to endure, and steps needed to be taken to help me deal with the pain.

I worry that the decision not to give a general anesthetic to women who go through this procedure is purely a financial one. It simply costs more money to ensure our comfort.

I believe this is a widespread issue, and that there should be measures implemented to ensure no one ever has to endure the pain I went though.

I have had numerous procedures in my life: smears, ovary removal, endometriosis lasered off, a clip on one of my Fallopian tube, and yet this was the most barbaric, traumatic and agonising experience of my life. I felt violated, and was very, very upset.

Dear Buth

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent experience at Good Hope Hospital.

I am sorry to learn that you found your experience to be traumatic and extremely painful.

I am concerned about this and would like the opportunity to look into this in more detail, I would require some additional information from you.

patientservices@heartofengland.nhs.uk.

I do hope this is acceptable and thank you for providing your comments, patient experience is very important to us.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Marie Helebert

Update posted by Buth (the patient)

Many thanks for taking the time to read my comments and to reply Marie. I will be in contact shortly once I am back home.

Response from Good Hope Hospital

Dear Buth

Can I please ask you to contact either myself or Iona Belgrove Patient Services Manager on 0121 424 0808 or by email: patientservices@heartofengland.nhs.uk.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Marie Helebert