"Administrative error"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary NHS Orkney

Received letter and documents dated mid October 2015 for in patient stay in early November 2015.

Data form enclosed with admission pack completed and sent back in s. a. e. Phoned the Secretary Direct line to confirm admission.

We took the letter to Garden House and flight tickets and escort arranged. Accommodation at Clan Havan booked.

The week before this planned stay my husband was admitted to ARI ward 311. During this time I visited ward 211 to see what procedure was anticipated for my husband the following week and discovered that they did not require him for any admission and simply said it had been an administrative error.

I feel you should be made aware of this. We were able to cancel the air tickets and accommodation on the Friday. If I had not gone to ward 311 on the Thursday we would have gone as scheduled, to Aberdeen. We have since learned of other patients with similar experiences. At a time when the NHS are cash strapped this is shocking. Also the stress it causes to patients and their relatives.

And to hear those words administrative error and dismissed!

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear patient

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of this situation. As you rightly point out, the NHS can ill afford to waste resources and you too have put a lot of time and effort into something which in the end was not going to happen. I am at a loss to explain but I have passed your comments on to the management team. They will try to find out what happened so that we can prevent this from happening to someone else.

Wishing you good health

• Oxo thinks this response is helpful

Response from Julie Tait, Patient Experience Officer, NHS Orkney

Dear Oxo

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us.

I am pleased to read that NHS Grampian will look into how this happened with a view to preventing a similar occurrence. Without patients and family members such as you bringing these issues to our attention we cannot act to try and make sure they don't happen again.

• Oxo thinks this response is helpful